Industrial Machinery & Equipment
Representing Victims and Their Families in Devastating Machinery Accident Cases
The attorneys of Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, have helped make the world a safer place for anyone who uses or works around industrial machinery and heavy equipment, from power tools to farm equipment. Our work on behalf of people who suffered injuries due to defective machinery has motivated companies to change their design or manufacturing processes to enhance safety.
Not only do we work to increase safety, but we also fight to get industrial machinery and equipment accident victims the justice they deserve. We represent victims with catastrophic and life-altering injuries, as well as families who tragically lost loved ones to machinery accidents.
After large machinery or heavy equipment causes a devastating injury, victims may not know where to look for help. Many law firms may not have the knowledge or resources to properly represent your rights in the face of such overwhelming losses.
This is the time to call the catastrophic injury attorneys at Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP. Reach out to us online or by phone at (310) 576-1200.
Changing Entire Industries One Case at a Time
In the early years of this law firm, attorneys Browne Greene, Bruce Broillet, and Timothy Wheeler frequently pursued cases against makers of industrial machinery like press brakes and punch presses. Not only did we obtain successful results for our injured clients, but our attorneys also inspired massive change to prevent further injuries.
For example, after winning a large case against an Ohio manufacturer, we received a call from the CEO of the company. He wanted to talk to the expert witness who testified for our client about the safety devices that the company should have installed on the equipment to prevent accidents. After the lawsuit, the company realized it was in its best interest to make its products safer. That conversation was the first step in an industry-wide movement to improve the safety of these particular machines.
Today, we see very few cases involving punch presses and press brakes because of the changes our lawyers forced upon the industry through tirelessly pursuing product liability claims on behalf of the injured. There is still much dangerous and defective machinery and equipment in production and use, and our goal is to continue to bring risks of injury to the attention of manufacturers to inspire changes toward increased safety for all workers.
Our success in cases involving defective machinery and equipment involves a thorough understanding of the products and our ability to work with expert witnesses. We are skilled at taking complex technical information and translating it into clear ideas that a jury can easily understand. High-quality investigations and our use of demonstrative evidence support our claims, showing how companies could and should produce machines in safer ways.
If defective heavy equipment, industrial machinery, or power tools caused you serious injuries, please contact our office to discuss your case. We represent clients in the Los Angeles area and throughout Southern California and the entire state. We also consult with attorneys and clients nationwide.
Obtaining Billions of Dollars for Our Injured Clients
Cases involving defective products are never simple. They involve complex investigations and an understanding of technical evidence needed to prove negligence on the part of large manufacturers. However, the attorneys of Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, prove time and time again that they are capable of obtaining multimillion and even multibillion-dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of clients injured by defective products.
The following is a sample of some of our results in claims stemming from defective products, including defective equipment and machinery:
- $4.9 billion verdict – Our partner Christine Spagnoli helped obtain the largest individual verdict in a products liability claim stemming from defective gas tanks that exploded.
- $58 million verdict – Christine Spagnoli served as a lead trial counsel and obtained a jury verdict for a client who suffered a severe burn injury due to defectively designed equipment.
- $25.9 million verdict – Our attorneys helped hold Ford Motor Company responsible for the wrongful death of a wife and mother due to the defective design of a 15-passenger van.
- $16.1 million verdict – Defective scaffolding caused a construction accident, and our client suffered brain damage and other serious injuries.
- $7.9 million settlement – A young person was using a floating rock grinding machine when a defect led to the amputation of his leg.
- $7.8 million settlement – Defectively designed heavy equipment led our client to suffer a crush injury.
- $5.5 million settlement – A man was on a morphine pump that malfunctioned and caused the full contents of the pump to dispense into his body at once.
- $3 million settlement – Our client was using a loader when the brakes failed, causing him severe injuries.
- $2.75 million settlement – A defective electric blanket ignited a fire and caused severe burns to a woman.
- $2.4 million settlement – A gas dryer ignited vapors in a garage and caused severe burns to a woman.
- $1.3 million verdict – Our attorneys proved that a defective safety guard on a miter saw led to severe hand injuries to our client.
While past results can never guarantee future results, our lawyers uphold a tradition of excellence and success for our clients. The above results are the standard for which we always strive, so please contact our firm if you believe you have suffered significant damages.
Dangerous Machinery and Equipment
Many workplace accidents occur due to defective and dangerous equipment and machinery. Many construction accidents and severe injuries occur due to equipment malfunctions and defects. Industrial accidents may take place due to inadequate safety measures on heavy machinery, which can result in amputations and crush injuries. If a power tool malfunctions while it is in use, catastrophic injuries can result.
Many types of machinery and equipment are used in construction, manufacturing, and other industries, including:
- Cranes and forklifts
- Drilling and boring machines
- Rock grinders and crushers
- Pavers and planers
- Punch presses
- Press brakes
- Boring machines
- Power saws
- Power drills
Whether a piece of machinery is large or small, it can still cause catastrophic injuries.
When machinery is defective and malfunctions, people operating or in the vicinity of the machine are at high risk for disabling or fatal injuries. Safety failures may not allow people to turn the machines off, and by the time others can assist, the damage is catastrophic. Common injuries from the industrial equipment accident cases we handle include:
- Crushed limbs or skulls
- Severe puncture or stab wounds
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain damage
The above injuries can leave people with permanent disabilities, disfigurement, and impairments. Often, victims of these accidents require lifelong medical treatment, home assistance, and 24-hour supervised living arrangements.
If you or a family member suffered a catastrophic injury while using machinery or equipment, you are likely facing a lifetime of losses. The attorneys at Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, help clients in this position on a regular basis. Please call us for more information.
Holding Negligent Manufacturers Accountable for Overwhelming Losses
Many equipment and machinery accidents happen at work, but workers’ compensation benefits rarely even begin to cover the losses stemming from these devastating accidents and injuries. Discuss your legal rights with an attorney who can identify whether you have a products liability claim.
Products liability principles set out the legal duty of product designers, manufacturers, and distributors to make products safe for their intended use. Companies also must provide proper warnings regarding the possible risks of using their products. These principles apply to all products, including vehicles, household appliances, and all types of heavy machinery and equipment.
When a company fails to meet its legal duty, the law holds the company liable for any harm resulting from defective products. Defects can occur in different ways:
- Defective design – Sometimes, a design flaw can lead to malfunctions and safety issues. Every product that stems from that design specification will likely have the defect and present the same risk of harm.
- Defective manufacturing – Some product designs meet all safety specifications, though the manufactured product fails to adhere to the design specifications. This can also include using inadequate materials to manufacture the product.
- Inadequate warnings – Some products, such as heavy machinery, will always carry risks of harm. If a manufacturer fails to properly warn users about these dangers, individuals cannot use appropriate caution and can suffer catastrophic injuries.
The accidents resulting from a negligent manufacturer of industrial equipment can leave victims with severe disabilities and a mountain of losses. While large companies should have substantial insurance policies, these companies and their insurers often fight to avoid liability for a defective product. To prove liability and obtain compensation for victims, these cases require an attorney who fully understands the nature of products liability claims as they pertain to machinery accidents.
Damages for Catastrophic and Lifelong Injuries
When you file a products liability claim against a manufacturer, you seek a certain amount of damages based on the losses you have and will incur in the future. Catastrophic injuries from machinery accidents can easily result in millions of dollars in damages, and victims deserve to receive the maximum amount possible. Our attorneys regularly recover economic damages, general damages, and in some cases, punitive damages for our severely injured clients.
- Economic damages – These damages depend on the financial losses and expenses stemming from your injury. They typically include medical bills, lost income, transportation costs, and more. When someone suffers a permanent, disabling injury, you must consider all of the future expenses that will result, as well. We often use medical experts to estimate a lifetime of medical costs, as well as economic and occupational experts to estimate your lost earning power if your disability keeps you from working. Not surprisingly, the economic damages from a catastrophic injury can grow astronomical.
- General damages – Not all damages correlate with out-of-pocket expenses or financial losses. General damages compensate injured victims for their physical pain and suffering, mental trauma, disabilities, disfigurement, lost enjoyment of life, and other intangible but very real losses. Our attorneys know how to present evidence supporting the general damages that our clients deserve after a catastrophic injury changes their lives.
- Punitive damages – When a manufacturer engaged in fraud or other egregious activities in marketing a dangerous product, a judge or jury may award a victim punitive damages. These have nothing to do with a victim’s specific losses—instead, punitive damages punish the manufacturer for its malicious and dangerous acts.
- Damages for wrongful death – When someone does not survive a machinery accident, California law allows certain close family members to file a wrongful death claim to recover for their tragic loss. Wrongful death damages compensate families for both financial and human losses, including medical and funeral costs, lost financial contributions of the deceased, lost household services, and loss of love, affection, support, attention, and guidance.
Our attorneys know how to calculate damages in even the most complex cases. For example, someone whose arm was amputated by an industrial machine will likely require extended hospitalization, surgery, and extensive rehabilitation, among many other types of medical care. They may need a costly prosthesis, which will need maintenance and repair, and that they will need to replace every couple of years. They will require physical therapy and training to learn how to use that prosthesis. Losing an arm will likely keep them from returning to their previous job, especially if it involved using heavy tools or machinery. The loss of a limb can cause excruciating pain as well as mental and emotional suffering. The list of losses goes on and on.
How do you compensate someone who loses a body part? The team at Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, regularly deals with this question. Our goal is always to ensure that our clients receive the full damages they deserve, and we regularly handle claims worth millions of dollars.
Why Our Approach Works in Dangerous Equipment Cases
To prove negligence on the manufacturer’s part, our team conducts an extensive investigation to uncover technical evidence proving the defect caused the accident. We have an in-house investigative team and a network of experts ready to engage in this intensely focused investigative process. This process can involve:
- Product retrieval – When possible, our experts can test and examine the product itself to identify safety failures.
- Witness interviews – People who witnessed the accident can provide additional information about what went wrong to cause the event.
- Obtaining reports – Many reports may follow a serious industrial accident, including police, fire, and other first responder reports. We also regularly obtain and examine government reports under the Freedom of Information Act. These can include reports from OSHA safety investigations, consumer safety and injury reports involving the equipment, company citations, and more, all of which may indicate problems with the product.
We hire experts who, when appropriate, can analyze this highly technical evidence to prove manufacturing defects. Our attorneys also know how to present such complicated evidence to juries persuasively and effectively. Many attorneys may not have the resources or technical understanding to achieve repeated success in this type of case, but you can rely on Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP.
After a Catastrophic Industrial Accident, Consult Our California Machinery and Equipment Accident Lawyers
The legal team of Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, has represented many severely injured clients after industrial or construction accidents due to defects in tools, machinery, and equipment. We identify whether defective products played a role in the accident and help clients hold negligent manufacturers responsible. We handle cases involving the most serious injuries, including permanent brain damage, disfiguring burns, crushed limbs, amputations, and other disabling injuries. We also represent families whose loved ones suffered fatal injuries.
Even facing the toughest cases, our lawyers welcome the challenge and will use every tool and resource at our disposal to achieve the best possible results for our clients and their families. We consult with other attorneys, and other law firms regularly refer cases involving serious injuries and complex circumstances to our firm.
The Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, attorneys have the experience, resources, and reputation needed to succeed for you, so please contact us at (310) 576-1200 or complete our online contact form to schedule your free consultation. We work with clients in Los Angeles, throughout California, and across the United States.