At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, our seasoned team of professionals have over 100 years of combined legal experience handling complex legal matters.
Los Angeles Truck Accident Attorneys
Aggressively Protecting the Rights of Truck Accident Victims
Tens of thousands of people are injured in truck accidents each year in the United States – with thousands more losing their lives – and yet all too often, trucking companies treat accidents as part of the regular course of business and simply budget for insurance and potential liability costs.
At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, our Los Angeles truck accident lawyers are dedicated to representing clients with severe and life-changing injuries – and will take on even the most challenging cases.
We understand that injuries from a truck accident can result in a lifetime of losses and expenses, and we know how to handle the unique legal issues involved in these claims. We dedicate our work and resources to protecting the best interests of clients who have suffered devastating injuries or lost loved ones as a result of someone else's negligence.
We handle all types of commercial trucking cases, including those that involve:
- Fatal truck accidents
- Delivery truck accidents
- Garbage truck accidents
- Hours-of-service violations
- Truck driver fatigue
Our attorneys give every one of our clients the full care and attention they deserve.
A truck accident lawyer in Los Angeles should always take the time to understand a client and their claim. Unfortunately, not every law firm in our area goes the distance. Greene Broillet & Wheeler stands behind our clients all the way. Thoroughly getting to know our clients and understanding the challenges they face after a traumatic truck accident, as well as their specific needs moving forward, helps us to provide the highest quality representation available.
We are proud to say that we treat our clients like family.
If you need assistance after a serious truck accident in Los Angeles or across California, contact our office today at (866) 634-4525 for a free consultation.
Why Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Seeking fair compensation from a large trucking company isn’t easy, as these companies typically have vast resources and assistance from top-tier law firms.
In addition to advocating for your rights and making your voice heard, an experienced truck accident attorney will know how to investigate your claim, discover all responsible parties, prepare for trial, and present a powerful case based on the evidence.
These factors can have a major impact on the outcome of your case.
What Common Injuries Are Caused by Truck Accidents?
Due to the sheer size of tractor trailers and large trucks, commercial truck accidents typically cause catastrophic injuries to occupants of smaller vehicles. Catastrophic injuries affect the most vital parts of the body – often the brain or spine – and cause permanent impairment of bodily functioning, as well as disfigurement and significant pain.
Injuries that truck accidents victims often incur:
- Paralysis (quadriplegia and paraplegia)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Coma and vegetative states
- “Locked-in” syndrome after TBI
- Third and fourth-degree burns
Sadly, many truck accident victims do not survive these collisions. The large majority of people killed in truck accidents are motorists in smaller passenger vehicles. What makes this particularly tragic is that those killed in truck accidents often have no role in causing them.
What Types of Damages Can I Recover?
Victims of big rig and semi-truck crashes are most often left with debilitating, life-altering injuries that will require significant financial resources throughout their lifetime.
Beyond medical expenses and hospital bills, plaintiffs will likely need funding to account for time off work, future medical costs, and other financial losses caused by the crash.
In a truck accident lawsuit, you may be able to sue for the following damages:
- Medical expenses and bills (hospitalization, diagnostic and laboratory tests, surgeries, medical devices and prescriptions, etc.)
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Counseling and mental health assistance
- In-home care or 24/7 medical assistance for disabilities
- Home remodeling costs (installing guard rails, wheelchair ramps, etc.)
- Lost wages from time off work
- Job retraining and educational costs
- Pain and suffering (physical and emotional)
- Wrongful death (on behalf of a deceased loved one)
Investigating the Cause of Your Truck Accident
Determining the cause of your truck accident is an essential part of your claim.
When appropriate, our Los Angeles firm employs our significant resources to investigate truck accidents and uncover any negligence on the part of the truck driver, trucking company, or truck manufacturer.
We strive to hold the trucking industry completely accountable for negligent acts and regulatory violations – not only to obtain full compensation for our clients, but also to improve safety and prevent future harm to other motorists.
While each crash is unique, common causes of truck accidents include:
- Violating traffic laws (speeding, failing to yield, running red lights, etc.)
- Truck driver fatigue
- Aggressive driving
- Violating regulations for inspections and maintenance
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Violating “hours of service” regulations
- Improper loading of cargo
- Negligent hiring and supervision
- Defective truck parts
How Do You Gather Evidence to Support Your Truck Accident Case?
Investigating a truck accident is no simple task.
As soon as our lawyers learn of an injured client, we begin conducting a thorough investigation to determine whether a driver or company violated any safety regulations.
These investigations may include sending investigators and expert consultants to the scene of the accident and obtaining any possible evidence of negligence and fault.
In a truck accident case, evidence often includes:
- Witness statements – Witness accounts of the accident can prove critical in corroborating negligence claims. Witnesses can testify as to whether a truck driver was driving erratically or aggressively, whether part of the truck failed, or whether anything else unusual occurred.
- Electronic control modules (ECMs) – Also known as event data recorders or “black boxes,” these devices record information about the speed of the truck, whether the driver applied brakes, and additional information from just before an accident. Crash experts can retrieve and analyze a truck’s ECM data to assist with accident reconstruction.
- Truck cameras – Many trucking companies have started installing cameras inside their trucks, either facing the road, the driver, or both. If a truck had a camera, footage can help us determine whether the truck driver engaged in negligence or misconduct.
- Electronic logging devices – The FMCSA requires truck drivers to keep track of their hours using electronic logging devices (ELDs). Examining these ELDs can help determine whether a driver exceeded hours of service limits, risking fatigue.
- Trucking company records – Trucking companies should keep accurate records regarding the hiring and supervision of truck drivers. For example, records that indicate a company failed to perform the necessary drug and alcohol tests before an impaired truck driver crashed can constitute evidence of negligent supervision.
Whether we handle an insurance claim or lawsuit in civil court, our lawyers have the resources and strategies to find the information needed to pursue liability for our clients’ truck accident injuries.
Can I Still File a Claim If I Was Partially Responsible?
Yes, in some cases you may still be able to file a lawsuit for a truck accident even if you were also negligent leading up to the crash. However, this will depend on the state where your accident takes place – and your damages may also be reduced based on your percentage of fault.
For example: In California, your claim will be evaluated based on the principle of “comparative negligence,” meaning that if you are found to be 30% responsible for the accident, you will only be eligible for up to 70% of the total compensation.
Because truck accidents tend to be complex, it’s important to review all the details with an experienced truck accident lawyer who can help you understand the role of negligence in your crash.
Call Us 24/7 to Discuss a Possible Case
At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, our Los Angeles truck accident attorneys know that dealing with a catastrophic injury or an unexpected death can prove all-consuming. However, putting off calling the right law firm for too long can potentially damage your case.
The trucking company has its own investigators and legal team who will begin building a defense almost immediately after a crash. They will conduct their own evaluation of the crash and take any possible preemptive actions to minimize or avoid liability – long before a claim is ever filed.
These companies have their own aggressive legal teams, and so should you. If you wait too long to protect yourself by hiring an attorney, evidence can be lost, making it more challenging to identify and prove fault in an accident.
We do not waste any time working to build a strong case for our clients. The sooner someone calls, the sooner we can begin protecting their rights.
Contact our office online or call (866) 634-4525 today to schedule a free consultation and discuss your case.
Named in U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms,” Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP ranks as Tier 1 Personal Injury firm in Los Angeles.
Founding partners Browne Greene and Bruce A. Broillet are both members of the exclusive invite-only Inner Circle of Advocates, as two of the top 100 plaintiff trial lawyers in America.
All of our attorneys are proud to be active members of the Los Angeles County Bar Association or LACBA.
Many firm members have been honored by the Consumer Attorneys of California, including Browne Greene, Christine Spagnoli, and Bruce Broillet, recipients of the Marvin E. Lewis Award. In addition, attorneys Bruce Broillet, Scott Carr, Molly McKibben, and Tobin Lanzetta has been honored with the Consumer Attorney of the Year Award.
All 15 of our attorneys have been selected to Best Lawyers® after an extensive peer review process.
Our attorneys were featured in TopVerdict for having one of the Top 10 Wrongful Death Verdicts in California in 2019, with $15 million won for the plaintiff in Keck v. Bel-Air Bay Club.
Our firm has more attorneys on the Super Lawyers® and Rising Stars lists than any other law firm in Southern California, with 15 members selected.
Several partners are active members in the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, with attorneys Browne Greene, Bruce Broillet, and Christine Spagnoli named “Trial Lawyer of the Year."
Decades of Legal Experience
Billions Recovered For Our Clients
We're Always Available For Our Clients & Offer Free Consultations
We've Taken On Some of The Largest Corporations & Insurance Agencies