Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
The Representation You Need after a Catastrophic Motorcycle Injury
The experienced personal injury attorneys at the firm of Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, represent clients with the most disabling motorcycle injuries. Not every firm has the resources, skills, and experience needed to handle these complex, often hotly contested legal matters. We have a proven record of success in catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases.
Some attorneys get in over their heads when they try to take on cases involving severe and lasting motorcycle injuries. (Such attorneys frequently refer those cases to us.) You want a law firm with extensive experience standing up for clients in catastrophic injury and wrongful death cases, because you have already lost too much.
Multimillion-Dollar Judgments for Our Motorcycle Accident Clients
Catastrophic injuries are common in motorcycle crashes, and victims often easily incur millions of dollars in losses. Not every law firm has the resources and experience to seek such extensive settlements or verdicts. The following are some outcomes of motorcycle accident cases we have handled at Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP:
- $6.4 million verdict – A motorcycle crashed into a concrete barrier left by a construction crew in a traffic lane, causing a serious brain injury to a 17-year-old motorcycle passenger.
- $5.5 million settlement – A 32-year-old woman suffered a brain injury when a motorcycle crashed due to a hotel that pumped pool water outside and flooded a street.
- $3.7 million verdict – A car crashed into a motorcycle due to defective road design, causing a father to lose his left leg and the death of his young son.
- $1.9 million settlement – A 50-year-old man sustained serious orthopedic injuries when an MTA bus sideswiped his motorcycle.
We believe the above results demonstrate our effectiveness in these complicated cases in which so much is at stake for our clients.
In addition to the above results, we regularly obtain multimillion-dollar settlements and awards for victims of all types of vehicle accidents, involving cars, trucks, buses, and pedestrians. No matter how a motorcycle crash occurred or what types of vehicles were involved, our attorneys have helped.
We have confidence in our ability to achieve success because of our history of success. Our firm received recognition from the National Law Journal as one of the top plaintiff’s firms in the United States as well as the top personal injury law firm in California by Best Lawyers. There is a reason why we are well-recognized by our peers, and you can trust that we will provide the highest quality of representation in each case. If you sustained catastrophic injuries in a motorcycle accident or lost a close family member, please call our office at (310) 576-1200 to discuss your rights as soon as possible.
Why Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP
The following are only some reasons why our clients have trusted our lawyers with their claims:
- Each success we have only adds to the resources we can then commit to future cases. We have extensive resources for investigating accidents and gathering the evidence needed to prove the full extent of our clients’ claims. When necessary or appropriate, we have employed full-time investigators, regularly collaborated with various experts, and have an entire warehouse dedicated to evidence and demonstrations to prove liability. We leave no stone unturned when it comes to working to prove a claim, which we believe is necessary for success in many cases.
- Because of our repeated success and recognition, attorneys and insurance companies across California understand our ability to obtain high-value judgments for our clients. It can only help a case when an opponent takes you seriously and knows your attorney will not back down in settlement negotiations or at trial. Whether your case is against an individual or a large corporation, our attorneys make for formidable opponents in and out of the courtroom.
- We consider our firm and our clients to be family. We know the best way to understand the scope of your losses is to carefully learn about you, your family, your lifestyle, and what your injuries have cost you. Every case gets truly individualized attention since we are careful about the cases we take. Our attorneys do not have overwhelming caseloads that cause any clients to fall by the wayside. Instead, we ensure each case gets the full dedication it deserves since we know our clients are facing such extensive losses.
The above are only some of the many reasons that people choose our firm for the most serious and complicated motorcycle accident cases.
Handling Complex Motorcycle Accident Claims
California has the largest number of registered motorcycles of any state, with about 800,000 in recent years. While it is clear why motorcyclists love to ride in California, the negligence of others can greatly elevate the risk of severe and life-threatening injuries. The United States saw an increase in motorcyclist deaths in recent years, with more than 5,200 fatalities in a single year. Statistics indicate that motorcyclist deaths occur 27 times more frequently than deaths in other types of vehicles per mile driven.
While many motorcycle accidents involve a car crashing into a motorcyclist, many other scenarios may unfold. Our lawyers carefully evaluate your accident to determine the cause and any potentially liable parties. Some causes may include:
- Negligent drivers – Careless drivers can often collide with motorcycles, leaving motorcyclists to face lifelong injuries while many drivers emerge relatively unscathed. Distracted driving is a major cause of crashes, as is drunk driving. Some drivers may become aggressive around motorcycles, and speeding or tailgating may result in deadly or devastating collisions.
- Defective roads – Road hazards create greater dangers for motorcyclists than four-wheeled vehicles. If a motorcyclist hits a large crack or pothole, the front tire may get stuck and send the rider flying forward, off the bike onto the pavement or into oncoming traffic. In addition, uneven roads may cause a motorcyclist to lose control and crash.
- Defective motorcycles – Companies regularly recall motorcycles due to defectively designed or manufactured parts. If a motorcycle suddenly malfunctions, the rider can lose control without warning. Faulty brakes, steering, and wheels often cause motorcycle crashes.
Whether the liable party is an individual, a company, or both, we know how to bring a successful claim to hold them accountable for the losses they caused. We regularly file claims against large corporations, and we know how to protect the rights of our clients in court against such parties and their legal teams.
The severity of injuries you suffered can also complicate motorcycle accident cases. The greater the injuries, the more significant the damages—and the more adversarial the claim may become as insurance companies and corporations fight to save money. Some of our cases involve the following life-changing injuries:
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Crushed limbs
- Deep burns or severe abrasions caused by sliding on the road
- Internal organ damage and organ failure
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
Motorcyclists commonly sustain such injuries even if they wore proper safety gear. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that a properly fitted helmet only prevents death by 37 percent and head trauma by 69 percent. A momentary lapse of attention by another driver can leave motorcyclists vulnerable to severe injuries in a crash no matter how many precautions they may take.
Our lawyers have seen firsthand how catastrophic injuries can damage a victim’s life in only a second, leaving a person with millions of dollars in medical and rehabilitation expenses. This is why we commit ourselves to helping seriously injured clients receive the maximum amount possible under the law. Contact our office now to discuss a possible claim.
Seeking Full Recovery for Your Losses
After an accident, many people simply think about medical expenses, though our attorneys know that catastrophic motorcycle accident injuries can result in substantially more damages. We carefully review each case to determine the full extent of our clients’ past and future losses to obtain the appropriate amount of compensation they deserve. As mentioned above, many of our clients have losses reaching into the millions of dollars following their motorcycle crashes. Damages that victims commonly recover in motorcycle accident cases include:
Medical costs – We review our clients’ medical treatment records and bills to determine how much their past treatment cost. In addition, many of our clients require ongoing care for months, years, or indefinitely. When appropriate, we have sought damages for the cost of future care as well. Medical expenses often include:
- Transportation to the hospital in an ambulance or medevac
- Imaging tests
- Diagnostic tests
- Surgeries and post-surgical care
- Admittance to the intensive care unit (ICU)
- Admittance to a burn center
- Time in rehabilitation centers
- Medical equipment and mobility devices, such as wheelchairs or prosthetics
- Doctor appointments
- Psychological treatment for mental and emotional trauma related to the accident
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Prescription medications
- Home health assistance
- Assisted living facilities
- Home modifications
The total medical expenses will vary significantly from case to case, depending on the severity of the injuries and the treatment needed. We consider all expenses incurred, as well as the ongoing care our clients will need.
When our clients required continuing care, our lawyers, when appropriate, retain medical experts who calculate the amount our clients need for future medical care. Our expert witnesses have effectively testified to the ongoing treatment generally required for catastrophic motorcycle injuries and the costs associated with such care. Because insurance companies often try to challenge the estimated value of future losses, we have found that having a respected expert testify to these losses can convince opposing counsel to agree to appropriate settlement offers during negotiations, and sway juries at trial.
Lost wages – Motorcycle accidents frequently leave victims with injuries that prevent them from working. If you find yourself in this situation, you may recover compensation for all lost income. Our attorneys can help you document the extent of wage losses by collecting proof of payment, such as pay stubs, or profit-loss statements for the self-employed.
If your injuries are so severe that you may not return to your previous job, you may also recover compensation for lost future earning ability. This can prove challenging to calculate and justify, however. In past cases, our lawyers have used various experts to prove future lost earnings, including:
- Medical experts have testified to the impairments and limitations caused by specific injuries as they related to our clients’ jobs.
- Occupational experts have testified regarding the types of jobs—if any—that severely injured motorcycle accident victims could hold, as well as the earning potential of those positions. Occupational experts have also testified to the pay our clients likely would have earned if their accidents had not forced them out of their previous careers.
- Economic experts have helped account for inflation or other adjustments during the course of our clients’ work-life expectancies.
Lost future earnings may prove substantial, and you deserve to recover for any career changes or losses you experienced as a result of an accident that sombody else caused. For example, a surgeon may no longer perform that job after a severe traumatic brain injury or the amputation of an arm. Paralysis can prevent many accident victims from performing any jobs that require physical labor or movement. Lost earnings are also an important consideration in wrongful death cases, as a family should recover compensation for the financial support they lost from their loved ones due to a motorcycle crash. Our attorneys always give these critical calculations the necessary attention they deserve.
Pain and suffering – Motorcycle accident injuries can cause crushing pain. A severe burn injury, for example, is one of the most painful conditions a person can experience. Post-surgical pain can prove excruciating. Amputees can suffer ongoing, difficult to treat neurological pain, including phantom pain that feels like it emanates from lost body parts.
Pain management can often prove inadequate or can involve painkillers that cause debilitating mental and emotional effects and the potential for addiction. Physical pain quickly takes a toll on any victim, and the law allows seriously injured individuals to recover compensation for the pain they experience.
In addition, after a motorcycle accident, you might never return to your previous life because of the pain or disability caused by your injuries. This commonly results in extreme mental suffering, such as depression or anxiety. Motorcycle accidents themselves can cause post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). You can seek recovery for the costs of mental and emotional health treatments, as well as for your suffering.
Insurance companies often dispute pain and suffering claims or the extent of the damages claimed. At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, our accident attorneys have helped our clients document their pain so that they could recover just compensation. Records that we have collected to support these claims included:
- Medical records showing the severity of the injuries
- Testimony from friends and family who can attest to the pain our clients suffered
- A journal in which our clients documented how their injuries damaged their lives and the level and severity of their pain
- Testimony from doctors and medical practitioners that demonstrate the extent of the pain management required to treat and control pain, including rehabilitation programs and prescription medications
Permanent disabilities and disfigurement – Catastrophic injuries have long-term effects on a victim’s life, including physical or cognitive impairments. Such impairments can prevent you from working in your chosen career, engaging in activities you once enjoyed, or even from caring for yourself on a daily basis. In addition, many motorcyclists suffer disfigurement due to amputations and burns. The law allows victims to seek compensation for any permanent injuries.
Wrongful death – Thousands of motorcyclists die in collisions each year. California law allows families to recover compensation for the loss of a loved one wrongfully killed by negligent or reckless drivers. Depending on the circumstances, survivors might recover compensation including:
- Lost financial support
- Lost household services
- Lost love, care, comfort, society, affection, solace, companionship, and emotional support
- Funeral and burial expenses
It can seem impossible to put a value on the loss of a close family member, and no amount will ever bring them back. However, the family deserves the full recovery to which the law entitles them after a wrongful death. Furthermore, a successful wrongful death claim may prompt changes by the at-fault party that save others from suffering the same fate.
A critical part of any legal claim is the proper assessment and proof of losses. Our law firm does not hesitate to demand justifiable amounts to compensate our catastrophically injured clients for the injuries they suffered.
Contact Our California Motorcycle Accident Lawyers for More Information
Our legal team at Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, focuses on helping victims who believe their lives were ruined to see hope for the future. Not every law firm has the commitment and resources to handle such devastating cases, but we know these motorcycle accident victims deserve only the best possible representation. We handle claims involving highly technical accident reconstruction, lasting medical problems, and complex legal issues with skill and confidence. We have assisted clients whether their motorcycle accidents involved other drivers, large trucks, or motorcycle defects.
Our highly skilled motorcycle accident attorneys successfully handle challenging cases in the Los Angeles area, as well as across the state of California and the entire United States. To discuss your situation, please call (310) 576-1200 or contact us online for a free consultation.