Los Angeles School Bus Accident Attorneys
Representing Victims of School Bus Accidents
Greene Broillet & Wheeler’s former clients share their story of heartbreak and hope on The TODAY Show after their car collided with a Los Angeles Metro Bus. Attorney Geoff Wells obtained a $7.5 million settlement on behalf of the plaintiff, who suffered life-threatening injuries.
Helping Injured Children and Their Families
The attorneys of Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, represent families whose children were seriously injured or killed in school bus accidents. We pursue financial compensation for our clients’ pain and suffering, current and future medical expenses, rehabilitation-related costs, disability and disfigurement, lost future earning capacity, and more. Often, our clients’ losses rise quickly into the millions of dollars, and we obtain more million-dollar settlements and verdicts than any other injury law firm in California.
School bus accidents can happen in many ways and can result in injuries to many people. Whether someone suffers injuries while riding a bus, trying to board or exit a bus, or because a bus hits another vehicle, catastrophic or fatal injuries can result. Our school bus accident attorneys are ready to help severely injured victims put their lives back together. If you or your child sustained a life-altering injury in a bus accident, please contact our office to discuss a possible case today.
Experienced Litigators, Impressive Results: Billions of Dollars in Recovery for Our Injured Clients
Because of our legal knowledge, investigative skills, and the resources to pursue difficult cases, our lawyers have obtained significant verdicts and settlements for our clients. We have seen the devastating effects of school bus accidents on children and their families, and we are ready to stand up for the rights of bus accident victims dealing with tragic circumstances. Our lawyers represent people who suffer injuries in public transportation and school bus accidents in Los Angeles, throughout Southern California, the rest of the state, and the nation.
To get a better idea of our dedication and tradition of success in even the most challenging cases, the following are only some of our case results for clients injured in bus accidents:
- $36.1 million verdict – A car hit a young girl while she ran across the street for her school bus. Our lawyers proved that the bus company and bus driver failed to prevent the accident by reporting the dangerous intersection as they should have.
- $13.82 million verdict – An unemployed man was a passenger on a Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transit Authority (LACMTA) bus when the bus crashed into a parked vehicle. The crash threw our client around the inside of the bus, causing him to sustain severe brain damage from a subdural hematoma, which paralyzed him on his left side.
- $8.15 million verdict – A young mother was at a school picnic when an unattended charter bus crashed into her. She tried to save a small child’s life and did not survive herself. Our firm brought a successful wrongful death claim.
- $5.6 million verdict – A woman was crossing the street in a crosswalk when a Laidlaw school bus hit her. She suffered numerous severe injuries, including multiple fractures in both legs.
- $3.67 million settlement – A private contractor operated a school bus and failed to yield properly to oncoming traffic. Our client sustained a severe brain injury, paralysis in the face, a hip fracture, and many other serious injuries.
- $3.2 million settlement – An MTA bus crashed into a 21-year old UCLA graduate student who was walking. The young student suffered a serious traumatic brain injury in the accident.
- $2.6 million verdict – A man was trying to catch a bus, but the bus ran over his left arm, resulting in an amputation.
Our attorneys commit themselves to representing clients with catastrophic injuries. We know these are the toughest cases, but we also know we have the experience, skills, and resources to obtain the appropriate compensation our clients so often deserve and need to recover from their injury-related losses. We have a statewide and national reputation for success for a reason, and our lawyers continually work to uphold that reputation.
You may notice that some of our case results are settlements and others are jury verdicts. This is because we will not hesitate to do what it takes to get our clients what they deserve. We are skilled negotiators who know how to present evidence to build strong cases in favor of our clients during settlement talks. If settlement negotiations do not result in an outcome which is acceptable to our clients, we never shy away from taking a case to trial. Our legal team consists of experienced litigators who know how to advocate for our clients and present a compelling case to a jury in court. Whether we reach a settlement or go to trial, our firm will always work to obtain the maximum compensation our clients deserve.
Not only do we work to obtain compensation for the losses of our clients, but our attorneys also strive to increase safety to prevent future injuries. We work to make it safer for children to ride the school bus and for pedestrians who may find themselves in the path of a school bus. We want to hold negligent school bus drivers and bus companies fully accountable for any injuries they cause, hoping to avoid future accidents.
If your child sustained a devastating injury, you want the school bus accident attorneys of Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, on your side as soon as possible. Please contact our office to consult a member of our team and learn whether we may help.
Catastrophic and Fatal School Bus Accident Injuries
An estimated 26 million students ride about 480,000 school buses on a regular basis. While school bus accidents are rare compared to other types of motor vehicle accidents, bus companies should never discount the potential for accidents and injuries. Consider the following statistics reported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- During the course of ten years, 1,172 fatal accidents involved school transportation vehicles in the United States
- Those fatalities included 301 school-aged children
- Victims included passengers on school buses, occupants of other vehicles, pedestrians, and bicyclists
- Most children who suffered fatal injuries in school bus accidents were between the ages of five and 13
In addition to transporting students to and from school, buses also transport students to field trips, sports games, and other school-sponsored events. Other groups can rent school buses for private events, such as church trips, weddings, parties, community service projects, and more. In short, school buses are on the roads throughout California every day, creating the possibility of a crash and severe injuries.
Severe Injuries to School Bus Passengers
When you send your child on the bus, you trust the bus driver is properly trained and will ensure your child gets to the destination safely. However, this does not always happen. Some parents receive the phone call they never want to hear—that their child went by ambulance to the hospital after a school bus crash. Some parents then rush to the hospital only to learn worse news—their child has sustained catastrophic injuries that may result in lifelong disabilities or that are life-threatening. Some parents may learn that their child did not survive.
Children can suffer many severe injuries in a bus accident due to the negligence of the driver or bus company. When a school bus collides with another vehicle or object, children can easily hit their heads hard on seats or windows. A collision can often throw them from their seats and into many hard surfaces. Many school buses roll over onto their sides in accidents. In a rollover bus accident, students can tumble onto one another, creating chaos and devastating traumatic injuries to many children.
Severe Injuries to Pedestrians
Part of riding a school bus is waiting at the bus stop, boarding the bus, and exiting the bus. In many situations, children must cross the street to board a bus or to head home after leaving the bus. Other children and adults may walk in the area. All of these pedestrians are vulnerable to catastrophic injuries if the school bus hits them or fails to enforce rules or policies. Buses are large, heavy vehicles, and pedestrians have no protection from an impact, often suffering multiple traumatic injuries.
Whether someone is a passenger on a bus or pedestrian, many injuries can cause lasting disabilities or death for bus accident victims. Such injuries and their possible effects include:
- Spinal cord injuries – Many victims suffer permanent paralysis, preventing them from ever walking again and often requiring assistance with the most basic tasks.
- Severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) – A severe TBI can leave a victim in a coma for years, and some TBI victims never wake up. Those who do regain consciousness often sustain numerous cognitive and physical impairments that completely change the course of their lives.
- Amputations – Many school bus accident victims have limbs crushed, shattered, or severed. Whether someone suffers a traumatic amputation from the accident itself or needs a surgical amputation, their lives will change forever.
- Internal injuries – When a small child gets thrown around a bus or gets hit by a bus, they can suffer extreme internal damage. Vital organs can sustain injuries and victims can suffer severe internal hemorrhaging. Even with immediate trauma care, such internal injuries can often prove fatal.
Permanent injuries can rob children of their futures. Children with dreams and aspirations must now deal with the daily pain and suffering of serious disabilities. Brain injuries may prevent children from returning to school without significant assistance and accommodations.
Few events exceed the tragedy of suddenly losing a child in an accident. When a child does not survive a school bus accident, the loss can destroy a family.
The lawyers of Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, are here to help families dealing with the loss of a child or a disabling injury to a child. We witness firsthand how severe and fatal injuries can affect families, and we dedicate ourselves to standing up for the rights and best interests of our clients. We know that no amount of money will turn back time and stop the accident from happening. However, we also know that our clients deserve to receive compensation for every dollar of their losses, which can easily reach millions of dollars. We help clients recover for many losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Estimated costs of treatment and care during the child’s lifetime for the injuries sustained in the school bus accident
- Lost opportunities
- Permanent disabilities and disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Wrongful death
When you consider how young many school bus accident victims are and how much an injury can take away from them in an instant, the losses can grow enormous. You need the right law firm with experience handling such claims to ensure you receive the full amount your family—and your child—deserves. Call us to discuss what happened with a member of our legal team right away.
How Our School Bus Accident Lawyers Help Seriously Injured Victims
If another party’s negligence caused a school bus injury, that party should compensate the injured victims for all of their accident-related losses. Recovering such compensation requires determining who acted negligently and providing evidence of their actions. This can prove complicated, as school bus accidents occur for many possible reasons and due to the negligence of many potential liable parties.
Our legal team investigates the cause of our clients’ accidents and identifies all possible sources of potential liability. We may ask many questions to pinpoint exactly who was responsible, including:
- Did the bus driver violate any traffic laws?
- Was the bus driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs?
- Did a public school district or private company own the bus?
- Was the driver an employee of the bus company, an independent contractor, or an employee of a group that rented the school bus?
- Did the bus company perform pre-employment screenings?
- Was the bus properly maintained?
- Were possible tire or vehicle defects involved?
To answer the questions necessary to identify the cause of a particular school bus accident, our firm, when necessary or appropriate, employs investigators who gather any evidence of negligence they can find. We often use accident reconstruction or engineering experts when needed to support the claims of our clients. We use medical and occupational experts to testify to the severity of our clients’ injuries, as well as the effects of the injuries on their futures. Our attorneys do everything that is necessary and appropriate to obtain the compensation that helps our clients move forward with their lives after a disabling injury or a tragic loss.
After a Catastrophic or Fatal School Bus Accident, Call Our Highly Experienced Los Angeles Attorneys
The law firm of Greene, Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, is different from other injury firms. We take on the most challenging cases involving the most serious injuries because we know we can help these clients. We never back down until we have done everything we can to help each client. If you or your child sustained catastrophic injuries, please call (310) 576-1200 or contact us online today so we can evaluate your case for free.