GB&W Obtains $33 Million Verdict for Physician Injured by the LAPD and Budget Rent a-Car.
Attorneys from Greene Broillet & Wheeler obtained a $33 million jury verdict on behalf of a Miami surgeon who was handcuffed so tightly by arresting officers that his ability to perform surgery was permanently damaged. Dr. Angelo Gousse was pulled over by the LAPD for allegedly driving significantly under the speed limit and driving erratically. At trial, attorney Browne Greene accused the LAPD of racial profiling as Gousse is a Haitian immigrant. During the arrest, the officer cuffed Gousse so hard his hands suffered nerve damage. To make matters worse, the car was erroneously reported stolen by Budget Rent-a-Car. A Los Angeles jury awarded $33 million to Gousse, $14.2 from the LAPD and $18.8 million from Budget. It was, at the time, one of the largest negligence verdicts against the LAPD.
Learn More About This Case:
- $33M verdict tossed in ‘racial profiling’ case – San Diego Union Tribune
- Dr. Angelo E. Gousse Awarded $33 Million by Jury in LAPD-Rampart Division Racial Profiling Lawsuit – BusinessWire
- Injured MD Gets Big Award – LA Times
- LAPD Blames Car Agency Error in Black Doctor’s Arrest – LA Times
- Surgeon Says Rampart Officers Injured Him – LA Times
- Surgeon’s Brush With Law Changes His Life, Career – SunSentinel