Los Angeles Slip and Fall Attorneys
Helping Slip and Fall Victims Who Suffer Long-Term Injuries
Slips and falls are too often written off as merely embarrassing accidents. At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, we can say from experience that slips and falls can result in catastrophic, life-altering injuries. We represent clients who slipped and fell and who now struggle with overwhelming, lasting effects, from traumatic brain injuries to spinal cord injuries. We have represented the survivors of slips and falls in wrongful death cases.
If you are living with a serious injury from a fall—or if your loved one did not survive a fall—please do not hesitate to discuss your legal rights with a member of our team.
Handling Challenging Slip and Fall Cases
At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, we represent clients who suffer from catastrophic injuries as a result of a fall. So-called “slip and fall” claims often have a reputation for being minor and inconsequential. In fact, what looks like the most simple fall can sometimes result in hospitalizations, emergency surgeries, long-term care, lifelong disabilities, and even fatalities. Our attorneys have the experience, knowledge, and track record to represent clients when a slip and fall leads to one of these tragic consequences.
Why Our Firm Stands Out
Many law firms handle slip and fall cases. However, most personal injury firms tend to represent numerous clients with minor injuries, often settling each case without devoting much time to any of them.
Slip and fall cases involving catastrophic injuries require a different type of representation, however, because complex factual and legal issues often arise, and the significant amount of money at stake can encourage defendants to fight back aggressively.
Our attorneys, however, know that clients with permanent injuries often require extensive resources to help prove their claim. When appropriate, we may deploy those resources to help our clients protect their legal rights.
Here are a few of the reasons why Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, has obtained victories for severely injured clients in the past:
- Having obtaining seven- or even eight-figure results for our clients has given our firm the resources to dedicate more time and energy to each incoming and pending case. Firms that typically handle minor injury cases often do not have the resources required to prevail in catastrophic injury claims.
- Because we dedicate ourselves to representing severely injured clients, we have a greater understanding of the overall impact of such injuries. We have witnessed the losses that stem from serious injuries and know how to calculate the amount of compensation they may need to adjust to their new lives.
- Slip and fall cases often involve adverse parties such as large corporations or government entities. We have a history of obtaining settlements and verdicts against such intimidating parties and have the resources necessary to mount aggressive cases when appropriate.
- Our in-house investigators have a track record of gathering important evidence to support our clients’ claims. We have also drawn on a network of experts on the topics of workplace or commercial property standards who have helped to prove when defendants failed to meet those standards.
- When opposing parties doubt the severity of a victim’s slip and fall injuries, we have a track record of not backing down. When necessary or appropriate, we have worked with medical experts who testified about the severity of our clients’ conditions, as well as their extensive past and future losses.
The above are only some of the many reasons for the successes of claims brought by our attorneys on behalf of catastrophically injured clients. Our firm operates like a close-knit family. We work diligently to uphold our reputation of doing our best to achieve a positive outcome for every client. Call today to learn more about how our firm is different than so many other injury firms in Southern California.
Hundreds of Millions of Dollars Recovered for Injury Victims
Falls and other accidental injuries can happen in many different environments, though they often occur due to dangerous property or workplace conditions. The following are a few of the many multimillion-dollar awards our firm has obtained for severely injured clients:
- $78 million settlements and verdicts – Awards for 12 victims injured in a serious fall on a construction site.
- $25 million settlement – A workplace accident caused permanent and disabling burns, amputations, and brain injuries to a man.
- $13.82 million verdict – A passenger was thrown around while riding a bus and suffered hemiplegia and severe brain damage.
- $6.7 million settlement – A man became a paraplegic after falling over an unguarded curb and retaining wall.
- $4.9 million arbitration – A client sustained severe injuries while visiting an amusement park.
- $2.9 million verdict – A man fell on a construction job and suffered severe fractures to multiple body parts.
- $2.3 million verdict – A man lived with debilitating back injuries after an electric pallet jack struck him at a Home Depot store.
- $1.39 million verdict – A film studio worker fell on the set of Beverly Hills Ninja and suffered injuries requiring spinal fusion and other surgeries.
Many people may not think that a substantial settlement or verdict is possible after a slip and fall, but in the above cases, our lawyers have proven otherwise. We feel confident about taking on catastrophic injury cases resulting from slips and falls, and our past results demonstrate our ability to succeed for clients owed millions of dollars due to the negligence of others. If you or a loved one were severely injured in a fall, and your expenses are rising quickly, call our office to discuss whether we can help.
Each Slip and Fall Case is Unique
Just like car crashes and other accidents, no two slip and fall accidents are the same. Many factors can affect who may be held to account for a fall and the damages that may be recoverable. These may include:
- The factors contributing to the fall, such as its location and the presence, absence, or inadequacy of any safety measures
- The injuries the fall caused
- The extent of a victim’s losses
Severe Injuries From Slips and Falls
Our firm has represented clients who spent months or even years in the hospital, all because they slipped and fell. Severe injuries sustained by slip and fall victims may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – Many slip and fall victims cannot control their falls and end up hitting their heads on nearby objects or the ground. Head trauma can often cause severe brain injuries, which can leave a patient in a coma and result in permanent impairments. TBI victims often spend months in the hospital and years in a rehabilitation center. They may never work or fully care for themselves again.
- Spinal cord injuries – The spine is extremely vulnerable in a slip and fall accident, and victims may suffer direct trauma to the spinal cord when they land. Damage to the spine can disrupt communication between the brain and the nerves throughout the body, which can result in lost sensation, organ functioning, and movement. Any spinal cord injury will likely result in extended hospitalization. Such injuries may permanently paralyze their victims, requiring mobility devices, home and vehicle modifications, in-home assistance, and lifelong medical care.
- Wrongful death – Most seriously, a slip and fall—especially from a great height—can result in death. This can deprive the family of the financial and emotional support that the loved one provided.
Do not hesitate to call Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, if a fall caused you to sustain a life-changing and costly injury such as the ones above.
Common Causes and Liability
Slip and fall victims may have the legal right to seek financial recovery from the party responsible for their injuries. Accidents can happen at work, in retail stores or other businesses, and on public or private property. Property or business owners commonly allow the following serious slip and fall hazards to persist:
- Slippery flooring materials
- Wet floors
- Poorly maintained sidewalks, walking paths, and curbs
- Dangerous stairs or ramps
- Broken or missing handrails
- Debris or objects in aisles or walkways
The responsible party may differ depending on where the slip and fall happened and who was responsible for the maintenance of the property where a fall occurred. Liable parties may include individuals, small business owners, large companies, residential property owners, or government agencies and entities. Our attorneys are trained to identify potentially liable parties, and to devise and pursue appropriate legal strategies to hold them accountable, based on each client’s particular circumstances.
Financial Recovery After a Devastating Fall
A slip and fall case may require careful analysis to determine the extent of each client’s damages. This may particularly be true in cases that reach into the millions of dollars of damages, because potentially liable parties often fight large claims. Our attorneys are trained to perform appropriate damage calculations that they can support with evidence. These damages may include compensation for:
- Costs of emergency medical care, hospitalizations, surgeries, rehabilitation, medical equipment, living assistance, and more.
- The amount of any future medical or psychological services needed.
- Lost earning power when injuries preclude a return to work.
- The physical pain and suffering that accompanies catastrophic injuries.
- Mental distress from the trauma of suffering a permanent injury.
- Permanency of disabilities or disfigurement.
When you consider all of the possible past and future losses of seriously injured accident victims, some claims rise into the millions of dollars. If this describes your situation, you may benefit from seeking out a firm like ours that regularly handles large claims on behalf of catastrophically injured clients.
Slip and Falls in Businesses
Slip and fall accidents are particularly common on commercial property, including in grocery stores, restaurants, and large retail establishments such as Target, Sam’s Club, or Walmart. These businesses typically partner with insurance companies—and often employ legal teams—who are ready to fight against liability for an accident and the victim’s resulting losses.
Investigating an accident in a business can involve reviewing video footage, examining store policies and records, and much more. Large corporations will often use their extensive financial resources to intimidate injury victims, including threatening to take the case to trial if a victim does not accept a low settlement offer.
Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, however, also has extensive resources to dedicate to a claim when appropriate, and we are prepared to go to trial when it is in the best interest of a client. We regularly stand up to companies after accidents on their premises.
Devastating Injuries to Senior Citizens
Slips and falls can result in particularly severe injuries when the victim is an older adult.
- Slips and falls are the number one cause of occupational injuries to workers older than 55
- One in three persons older than 65 will fall each year in the United States, many of whom have fallen before
- Thousands of people older than 65 die each year because of falls
- The risk of slipping and falling increases significantly with each passing decade of life
- Falls are the leading cause of death for individuals older than 85, and they are the second-leading cause for those ages 65 to 84
- Falls are the second-leading cause of brain injuries and spinal cord injuries in patients older than 65
- More than 50 percent of older fall victims who suffer hip fractures are never able to live independently at home ever again
- Falls account for 40 percent of admissions to nursing homes
If you or an elderly loved one suffered severe and life-changing injuries in a fall, call us.
Fall Injuries at Work
Falls are also common on-the-job accidents. Employees can slip and fall in almost any working environment—from a warehouse floor to an office building. Slips and falls are particularly common in hospitals, nursing homes, and other care-taking settings, as well as on construction sites. A large percentage of workers’ compensation claims arise from slip and fall accidents and injuries, but some claims may be against third parties.
No matter what caused a slip and fall accident, where the accident took place, or the severe injuries that resulted, do not wait to contact our highly experienced attorneys. We limit our practice to serving clients who face a long road ahead dealing with disabilities, impairments, ongoing medical care, and other lasting effects of devastating injuries. We evaluate your rights for free and advise you as to whether our firm can assist you in seeking financial recovery.
Consult Our Los Angeles, California, Slip and Fall Law Firm Today
Many people may not associate catastrophic injuries with slip and fall accidents. At Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, we know otherwise, and we take your injuries and losses seriously. We regularly fight for those who deserve substantial settlements and verdicts.
If you are disabled or are otherwise facing overwhelming losses due to painful and devastating injuries, Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP, may be able to help. Contact us at (310) 576-1200 for a free case evaluation today.