Skip to Content

What Happens if a Train Gate Malfunctions?

Train crosses a street during the day

What happens if a train gate malfunctions? In this blog post, we will discuss what drivers should do if they are faced with a malfunctioning train gate. We will also provide some helpful tips on how to stay safe while driving near train tracks.

What To Do if a Train Gate Malfunctions

If you find yourself approaching a train gate that is not functioning properly, the first thing you should do is stop your vehicle. You should stay in your vehicle – do not get out of your car and inspect the situation. If it appears as though the train gate is stuck in the down position, do not attempt to drive around it. This could be dangerous and could result in a collision with an oncoming train.

You can report a malfunctioning gate to the proper entities. Often, there will be a sign posted at the gate with a telephone number to call to report the gate. If there is not, the Federal motor Carrier Safety Administration has a list of entities that are involved in the operation and control of train gates that you can use to call with the location, crossing number (posted at the gate), and the name of the road or highway that crosses the tracks. If you cannot locate the railroad emergency phone number on site, you can also call 9-1-1.

As always, please use caution when driving near train tracks. Train gates are put in place for a reason, and they should always be treated with respect. If you have any questions about what to do in the event of a malfunctioning train gate, please feel free to contact your local authorities.

We’re Here to Help

If you’ve been hurt in a train accident through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Don’t hesitate to reach out to our skilled team right away to learn more about your options.

Call our Los Angeles attorneys at (866) 634-4525 or contact us online to get in touch with someone from our team about the details of your case right away. We will fight to recover your full and fair compensation.