Sexual abuse can have devastating physical, emotional, and financial consequences for a survivor. Often, sexual abuse survivors experience a level of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) similar to soldiers who have seen combat.
As such, these survivors can expect to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in rehabilitative treatment in an effort to sort through their trauma.
These individuals should not have to pay for these expenses out of their own pocket when a sexual abuser caused them harm.
Below, our Los Angeles trial attorneys discuss the damages that sexual abuse survivors may be able to recover from any and all liable parties.
Pursuing a Sexual Abuse Claim
A recent extension to California’s statute of limitations gives survivors more time to file a civil sexual abuse claim. The new time limits are as follows:
- Childhood sexual abuse survivors must file a lawsuit by age 40, or within 5 years of discovering the abuse as an adult.
- Starting in January 2020, survivors in California now have a three-year window to file sexual abuse claims that have previously passed the statute of limitations.
- Courts are empowered to triple damage awards when sexual abuse happened alongside an attempted or successful cover-up.
With the help of an experienced attorney, survivors may be able to recover compensation for the following damages through a civil lawsuit:
- Emotional and physical pain and suffering
- Medical expenses for the treatment of physical injuries
- Ongoing counseling and therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression related to the abuse
- Past and future lost wages when survivors are unable to find or maintain meaningful employment because of the abuse
Experienced Sexual Abuse? Contact Us Today
We know the devastating consequences this terrible crime can have on survivors. That’s why we strive to help these individuals seek justice for their abuse. If you or someone you love has experienced sexual abuse, our nationally-recognized trial attorneys are ready to stand by your side and help you navigate the process of filing a sexual abuse lawsuit.
Contact Greene Broillet & Wheeler, LLP today at (866) 634-4525 to schedule a free, confidential consultation with our team.