As a driver, you realize that you could be involved in an accident at any time. Even if you are doing your best to avoid trouble, other drivers can make a mistake.
While you may not spot drunk drivers often, it’s a good idea to know what you are looking for. Here are some signs that a person may be driving under the influence of alcohol:
- Quick acceleration, such as from a stoplight.
- Following other vehicles too closely.
- Almost hitting an object, such as a parked car or curb.
- Stopping without cause.
- Inability to stay in the lane of travel.
- Slow response to traffic signals, such as a delayed start after a light turns green.
- Driving without headlights at night.
- Swerving in and out of their lane.
- Making illegal turns.
- Driving extremely slow.
- Driving on the wrong side of the road.
If you are driving down the road, if you see somebody who is acting in a strange manner, there is a good chance that the person could be under the influence. In this case, it’s up to you as to what you do next.
First and foremost, be sure to keep your distance. You don’t want to get too close, as this could put you at risk of an accident. From there, you can contact the police to tell them what you are seeing. If possible, share information on your location in Los Angeles as well as the make, model, and license plate number of the vehicle.
When you take these steps, you can help yourself, as well as others, avoid an accident.